New owners have narrowed the driveway we need to use to access our property. What rights do we have?

Question: Land locked we have used a drive way to reach our property in Van Buren County, Michigan, for over 30 years, now there are new owners they have narrowed the drive way with fencing so is hard to get in & out what rights do we have and can we get ownership of land?

Answer: You need to get an attorney right away. Our attorneys have familiarity with real estate law and litigation. You likely have an easement by prescription (adverse possession on easement rights) and an easement by necessity. Also, the owner of the fee (the person that owns the land) can use land that is subject to an easement, but cannot unreasonably interfere with the rights of the easement holders.

Share On:

Ask An Attorney

Corporate Attorney

Do you have legal questions?

Use our form to send your question to us and our lawyers will post the answers on our website.