I have power of attorney for my father. Can I sign for him and transfer property?

Question: I have POA for financial and medical on my father, and he has marked dementia at present. Can I simply sign for him and transfer or give away the property to whomever? What would be the disadvantages?

Answer: Any transaction you make using the power of attorney that benefits you will be subject to high scrutiny by a court if any other family member complains. As an agent under a power of attorney, you are under a "fiduciary" duty to use the power only for the benefit of your father.

Share On:

Ask An Attorney

Corporate Attorney

Do you have legal questions?

Use our form to send your question to us and our lawyers will post the answers on our website.