Termination Of Land Contract

Question: How can I walk away from a land contract for a property with excessive loans?
I entered into a Land Contract on a home in South Haven, Michigan, with my landlord two years ago. I pay a hefty amount a month and was trying to refinance. I found that the land contract was never recorded, plus he has taken out loans on the house totaling more than the balance on the land contract. I want to walk away. What do I do?

Answer: When there is Land Contract, the Buyer should have the Land Contract or a Memorandum of Land Contract recorded. This places on public record that you have an interest in the property. This would help prevent a Land Contract seller from getting a mortgage for a greater sum than the Land Contract balance due. I recommend that you retain a litigation attorney in your area to pursue a claim against the Seller or to work out a mutual termination. Good luck with this difficult matter.

Attorney: Mark Miller

Share On:

Ask An Attorney

Corporate Attorney

Do you have legal questions?

Use our form to send your question to us and our lawyers will post the answers on our website.

Verify Miller Johnson Schroeder, PLC