Working From Home

Question: Is there anything I should know before running a business out of my home?

I have a question. I live in Cass County. I want to work from home using my computer and phone. I will be working for a company as a broker. I will be signing people up for a card that gives them a discount on dental, vision prescription services. It is not insurance. The company I will be working for handles all the financial part. They handle all of the customer service. I will be marketing a web site and advertising. I will get paid from the company. At the end of the year they will send me a 1099 form. Are there any laws that say I can't do this? Is there anything I should know before I sign up?

Answer: Under zoning laws, what you are contemplating is called a "home occupation". Generally, so long as you will not put up a sign on your property, and do not have clients visit you at home, you can conduct a business from an office in your home. Once you start having clients visit or put up a sign, you have changed the character of what you are doing and need a formal "home occupation" permit or a "special use permit" from your local government (City or Township). Good luck with your pursuit.

Attorney: Mark Miller

Share On:

Ask An Attorney

Corporate Attorney

Do you have legal questions?

Use our form to send your question to us and our lawyers will post the answers on our website.

Verify Miller Johnson Schroeder, PLC